Stay tuned for upcoming events, student organization activities, and new resources and opportunities for graduate students!
- Apply for the Humanists@Work Travel Grant for our Riverside Workshop! For more more information and to apply, please visit: https://uchri.org/cfps/humanistswork-riverside-travel-grant-november-12-13-2017/ The Humanists@Work Riverside career workshop for graduate students and faculty will build upon past workshops held in Berkeley, San Diego, Sacramento, Santa Barbara, and Silicon Valley. As part of the MLA-funded “Connected Academics: Preparing Doctoral Students of Language and Literature for a Variety of Careers,” UCHRI will fund three students from each UC campus to attend the daylong workshop on Monday, November 13th and networking events on Sunday, November 12th. For more information about the initiative, please visit Humanists@Work.
- Tech companies are holding info sessions this week at the Career Center. See who will be there here: Upcoming Information Sessions.
- Attend the launch for the university’s first Strategic Plan for Inclusive Excellence, led by the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, and see what university administration has been planning to try to get UCSD up to speed. Next Thursday, Oct 19 from 11:30am-1pm in Price Center East Ballroom. RSVP here.
- The Police Department is again hosting Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.): Basic Self-Defense for Women: The R.A.D. class teaches realistic self-defense tactics and techniques for women. It begins by teaching awareness, prevention, risk reduction and risk avoidance, and progresses to cover the basics of hands-on defense training. R.A.D. courses are taught by nationally certified R.A.D. instructors. Each student receives a course manual. To enroll, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Det. Stacie Cruz at the UCSD Police Department 858-534-8626. This course fills up quickly and has a limited enrollment. If you enroll and then need to cancel, we require a minimum 24 hour notice so that we can notify alternates that a spot has opened. Attendance is required for all 12 hours of the course. Cost: $10 for new participants, free to returning participants *16 is the minimum age requirement
- The Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities is looking for volunteers for their San Diego conference, Oct 28-30. Volunteers can attend the conference and get free lunch!
- Introduction to Social Media for Researchers: Friday, Nov. 3, 11:30am-1pm, NSB Auditorium. Researchers have many different options to apply social media to enhance appreciation for and understanding of their work. This panel will provide an introduction to the top social media networks and how to use them, as well as an overview of available UC San Diego social media resources. RSVP by Oct 26.
- Check out the ETD+ Toolkit–an approach to improving student and faculty research output management.
- Did you know that UCSD has Research Facilitators here on campus to help you? Click here to find out more!
- Check out information about the English for Academic and Professional Development (EAPD) program at UC San Diego here
Featured Event Flyers (click to enlarge):
Research Communications Program – Leadership Communications: Representing More than Just Yourself; Nov 15 @ 9am-1pm
Writing + Critical Expression Hub’s Grad Student Writing Room, every Monday & Thursday in fall quarter